Family Sponsorship

How can I sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada? You, as the sponsor, must meet certain eligibility criteria, and the people you sponsor must also meet some eligibility factors.


If you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to become a permanent resident.

However, if the potential sponsor was sponsored as a spouse within the last five years, or has been convicted of certain domestic or sexual offences, or is on social insurance, then the sponsor may not be eligible.

Child / Dependent

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can usually sponsor dependent children (including an adopted child) to become a permanent resident.

Canadian citizens who have children born outside of Canada may be able to apply for citizenship for that child. Not all Canadian citizens are eligible, depending on some factors such as whether the Canadian citizen inherited citizenship by birth outside Canada.

Parent / Grandparent

Canadian permanent residents or citizens may be eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent for permanent residence if they meet the income requirement and are successful in a lottery. Rules often change annually.

Generally, the sponsor must be able to show that the sponsor and his or her spouse earn at least 30% above the published Low Income Cut Off (LICO) for their family size, including any parents or grandparents being sponsored. Income must be shown on three consecutive Canada Revenue Agency Notices of Assessment.

Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents may also support their parents or grandparents for a Super Visa. This is a long-term temporary residence visa (TRV). The application process is similar to that for a regular TRV.

Additional documentation includes:

  • A letter of invitation from the child or grandchild residing in Canada
  • Documents that prove the sponsoring child or grandchild meets the LICO level
  • Proof of parental relationship with child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate that names them as a parent
  • Proof of emergency medical insurance coverage for one year with a Canadian insurance company


There is a right of appeal when an outside Canada family sponsorship is refused or where a Canadian permanent residence is found to have lost permanent residence (usually by spending more than 60% of the time outside Canada).

Pathway to Canada can help avoid appeals or represent you in a sponsorship appeal or an immigration appeal when necessary.

Ready to Get Started on your Pathway to Canada?

A licensed immigration consultant can assist you with all of your Canadian immigration needs. Contact us for answers to any of your immigration questions.

Kelowna: 778.484.1996

Pathway Logo Small

Immigration Offices located in
beautiful Kelowna and Victoria, BC

More about Pathway to Canada
and how we can help.